Concentration Tips: Do’s and Don’ts
Many students have trouble with concentrating, whether it is for homework, studying, or working on a project. This is often caused by the many external factors of school life, so the best way to master concentration is simply to try to eliminate as many of these external factors as possible.
Here is a list of some of these distractions:
1. Laptops- One of the most destructive things to your concentration is the influence of social networking sites, online videos, and other online applications that attract the interest of many students. If it is possible, it is better to do your work without the use of a computer. However, if it is necessary, make sure not to open more windows, tabs, or applications than needed to get your work done.
2. Noise- Another distracting factor is being in a place where there is a lot of noise going on. It is fine to study in groups, but you should never study in a place where conversations are going on about topics different than what you are trying to study. For some people, music can be a concentration aid. This is fine as long as the music is not too loud and not too distracting. Try to study in a quiet place such as a library or your own room.
3. Television- If the television is on, or someone is playing video games, it will be very hard for you to study. Even if the sound is low, it is still visually attracting, so try to avoid studying in places where the television is on.
However, there are many things that can actually help you study.
1. Food- It sometimes helps to either eat while you are studying or eat before you start studying. If you do this, you will not have to worry about being hungry in the middle of your study session.
2. Group study- Another good way to study is with other people. However, you have to make sure that you study with people who will stay on task. It is important to stay concentrated on the task at hand.
3. Note taking- When you take notes, you are benefit your concentration. Note taking helps you delve into your study material and understand the material as well.
By paying attention to the above do’s and don’ts, concentrating will become easier, and you will find it easier to obtain the grade that you desire.