Top 5 Tricks to Improve Memory
Here is a short list of ways to improve your memory:
1. Connections - Most students with high grades will attribute their successes to the use of connections. Connections are simply creating relations between new subject material and previous knowledge. For example, many students create mnemonics to help memorize concepts. When you connect ideas like this, your brain finds the material a lot easier to understand. It creates something a lot more permanent in your mind.
2. Visual aids - Another useful tool is creating visual aids. Many people are what are called visual thinkers. This means that they learn more by seeing images and figures. In order to help memorize something, it can be a lot easier to draw a diagram or picture and focus mostly on that. Often, it helps students to pay close attention to figures that appear in the textbooks. One of the reasons it is so beneficial is its stimulation of the senses.
3. Copying – One interesting technique is to trick your muscle memory. Even if you are not focusing on the material you are copying, your brain retains a memory of how your muscles move. Therefore, if you copy something enough times, the copying of it will be ingrained in your memory. However, if you do focus on the material as well, you are also developing a strong connection. You will have the image of the copied paper along with the muscle memory. This is a very useful tool for memorizing.
4. Note cards - Note cards are a very useful way to remember a series of information. It is also useful when studying with other people. The use of note cards can create a fun, interesting, and very informative study session.
5. Practice - The most effective way to retain knowledge is simply to practice the material. For example, if you are studying chemistry, the best way to memorize information is just to practice working problems from your textbook. Practicing your topic is the best way for your brain to fully understand the material. It can sometimes be one of the harder methods for memorizing, but it is certainly the most effective.
These methods of memorization can quickly help you to remember any information, whether it is from a textbook, lecture, or even from another source. It is important to keep these tips in mind when doing homework or studying for a test.